Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Jordan's Second Chance 2.3

Hello everyone and welcome back to Wednesday's Briefs. For those new to the group, every Wednesday authors post flash fiction anywhere from 500-1000 words using a pictorial or verbal prompt. I am using a verbal prompt, "I can't help with that".

This week we continue with, 'Jordan's Second Chance 2.3'. Unable to face the guilt of his parents' deaths, Wynter has disappeared. Can Wynter cope with the overwhelming feelings flooding through him, or will he succumb to the dark abyss? I hope you like this latest addition.

Happy reading,

TC



Jordan’s Second Chance 2.3

 

            Wynter found himself wandering through the park where he’d first met Jordan and Lucas. Walking over to the large oak tree that had always soothed him, Wynter sat with his back to the tree and his legs drawn up. He wrapped his arms around his legs and rested his head on his arms. Wynter closed his eyes and inhaled, his breathing ragged. He’d wanted the truth of who he was his entire life—but not like this. To learn he was responsible for the deaths of his parents, what type of person did that make him? If he’d never been born, then his parents would be alive today, living a happy life.

            Wynter’s heartbeat sped up. He was an abomination. His whole life a lie. Jordan’s face flashed in Wynter’s mind, but he pushed it away. He no longer had the right to pursue anything with Jordan. He didn’t deserve to be happy. The only thing Wynter could do now was try to cope with knowledge that he’d been the cause of his parents’ death.

            “Wynter?”

            Wynter’s head snapped up when he heard his name being called through the trees. Jordan was hurrying toward him. “Didn’t you hear me? I called your name three times,” Jordan panted. He was dripping with sweat, his face ravaged with worry.

               “What are you doing here?” Wynter asked, making no move to get up. He ignored the happy yip of his leopard.

            “I was worried about you. Of course I’d come find you.” Jordan’s tone made it seem as if it should have been obvious to Wynter.

            “I’m . . .” Wynter began.

            “You’re not fine. If you prefer not to talk about it, just say that. Don’t lie to me and say you’re fine,” Jordan interrupted.

            Wynter nodded. “I’m sorry. I just needed to be alone and process what Nana told me. I never expected . . .” Wynter broke off, biting his lip.

            Jordan sighed and sat down. He reached over and grabbed Wynter’s hand, intertwining their fingers. “I know this must have come as a huge shock to you, but you’re not alone and you don’t have to deal with it alone. You have me, Lucas and Nana. I want you to remember that when it seems as if the walls are closing in on you.”

            Wynter gasped, his head snapping toward Jordan. That was exactly how he felt--as if the walls were closing in on him. “You know this feeling,” Wynter made it a statement, knowing instinctively Jordan’s past was not a happy one.

            “Don’t we all,” Jordan responded with a sad little smile.   

            “I know in my head that I didn’t kill my parents. But my heart is a different matter. I keep thinking that if I was born normal, then none of this would have happened. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do!” Wynter squeezed Jordan’s hand, hating himself.

            “I don’t think you’re supposed to do anything, but take it one day at a time. I can’t help with that part, but I can be here for you and lend you my shoulder anytime you feel you can’t handle it alone. I’m here, Wynter and I’m not going anywhere. So don’t be afraid to reach out for me. Ok?”

            Jordan dragged Wynter against his chest, touching his forehead against Wynter. “Ok?” he repeated softly.

            Wynter nodded, his fingers clutching Jordan’s broad shoulders. “Ok,” he answered. The large knot that had settled into his stomach, eased.

            “We should head back, Nana’s probably worried sick,” Wynter said moments later. He’d enjoyed lying in Jordan’s arms under the big oak tree, but he knew Nana was worried.

            Jordan nodded, helping Wynter to his feet. He cupped Wynter’s cheek, his forefinger raising his chin. Intense jade eyes searched Wynter’s, questioning. Wynter smiled, turning his head to kiss Jordan’s palm. “One day at a time, right?”

            Relief eased the tension around Jordan’s mouth. “That’s right.” Grabbing Wynter’s hand, he led them over to their cars. “I’ll be right behind you,” he said. He buckled Wynter in and shut the car door.

            Wynter nodded and started the car. He waved at Jordan, grateful that he’d chased after him and ease Wynter’s pain. As Wynter drove away, he wondered what he could do to return the favor. What could he do to chase the shadows from Jordan’s eyes?

To be continued . . .  
****
Want more free flash fiction? Check out these amazing stories!

MA Church
Chris T. Kat
Jon Keys
LM Brown
Nephylim
Lily Sawyer
MC Houle
Grace Duncan
Larry Benjamin
Johayan
Cia Nordwell
Rob Colton
Jim Dunaway
Renee Stevens
Victoria Adams
Andrew Q. Gordon
Tali Spencer
E.S.
JC Wallace
Julie Lynn Hayes















No comments:

Post a Comment